On Thursday, June 6th, I received a notification from WordPress that I had my 100th follower. It surprised me that I didn’t do a bigger happy dance.
Since reading Kristen Lamb’s book Are you there Blog? It’s me, Writer in August 2012, I had set some goals for my blog. One goal was to have 100 followers by my one year anniversary – February 2013.
I missed that target by nearly four months.
Of course, I’m not out and about spreading the love to other bloggers the way Kristen encourages new bloggers to do. Who has the time? I was pleased when I managed to get the two blog posts I had committed to up every week.
I still don’t get regular comments on my posts, which was one of my goals.
How do I encourage comments?
I noticed that when I did the Round of Words in 80 Days challenge, I scored quite a few more comments. Part of the requirements for the challenge is to visit five different blogs each time we post our updates. I believe I will participate in this challenge again…whenever it starts next.
Of course, I’m reaching my overarching goal of graduating from college. Once I’m finished with that, I can’t take a break. I need to start toward my next goal right away.
Here are the goals I expect to accomplish in the next six months:
- Complete A Round of Words in 80 Days challenge with higher word count goals than last time
- Bump blog posts up to three days per week.
- I’m considering making a page just for samples of my writing. Do any of my readers have any thoughts or experiences with that?
- Finish my WIP by the end of October
- Send out one article/story for publication
- Visit more blogs on a regular basis and leave comments
- Start a Facebook page
What is your secret to setting goals that you can complete?